Followers

Translate

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Coffee and Paper Crafting - Part 1

Coffee of the Day - German Chocolate Cake

I was kindly asked by Jenn over at Just Some Lines to do a tutorial for them. Of course mine had to involve coffee in some form or fashion! and when it comes to coffee and crafting, I have no shortage of ideas, so be on the lookout for part 2 to come later! :)

Ways to Recycle your Coffee & Grounds for Paper Crafting:

Coffee Paper -
1. Take several sheets of plain cardstock and set them on a protected surface.



2. Sprinkle cooled coffee grounds over cardstock & let sit for about 15 minutes.



3. Carefully take each sheet of cs to dumping area, (this could be trash, but I put mine straight into garden for compost! plants eat them up like chocolate! grins!). Flip the cs over so grounds fall into dumping area. it's okay if you still have a few grounds stuck to paper.



4. Let cs dry for several hours until completely dry. You will see a really cool pattern emerge, each sheet different!
5. Gently brush remaining coffee grounds from cs. It's now ready to use! :)


Coffee Stained Ribbons & Trims -
1. Pour cooled coffee (a few grounds added are fun, too!) into a container that has a bit of depth to it. you want your ribbons & trims completely covered in coffee.



2. Add snippets of whatever ribbons & trims you would like to dye. Cotton tends to hold the color better than anything with a high synthetic content. vintage trims are fabulous for this technique!



3. Let soak for at least several hours.
4. Gently rinse under slow tap water to remove any coffee grounds. Be careful to not wash away all dye. If this happens, just repeat steps 2 & 3.
5. Let trims completely dry prior to using.


This is my completed card using the precious Just Some Lines image, 'Fairy Kiss'. papers are from the My Mind's Eye The Sweetest Thing Lavender collection, buttons are vintage, washi tapes are from Etsy, little ticket is Maya Road. card base was also sprayed with Mr. Huey's dewey mist, fairy's wings were covered in stickles, and little polka dots were added to the caterpillar.

Challenges:
Crafty Cardmakers - winged things
There's Magic in the Air - things with wings (hi to all of my former teamies! love your Jen's Sunshine card, Nina!!!)
Tammy's Scrappin' Corner - anything with wings
Creatalicious - fantasy or baby
Live and Love Crafts - lovely lace or terrific trims
Corrosive Challenges - myth and magic
Joanna Sheen - going dotty
Dutch Dare - fantasy

21 comments:

Tracy said...

Thanks for the great tute Jen! I've tried tea but must not have made it strong enough so I'll have to try the coffee instead. :-) Your card turned out awesome! hugs!

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous card Jen! Love the way you used the coffee dyed paper and trim! Wonderful tutorial, I don't drink coffee! Gasp, I know! I'm a tea drinker. Yup, I know!
I think I'll go out and get some coffee just for this though, it makes it look wonderful!

wannabcre8tive said...

A very pretty card and I loved hearing how you coffee dyed the paper.
Thanks for joining us over at Paper Cupcakes/There's Magic in the Air.

Penny said...

Never thought of dyeing the cs before, Jennifer! What a cool idea--thank you!
Love your card--it is too sweet! Love the colors, die cuts, lace, and that adorable image! Great sparkles, too! :^)
Hugs,
Penny

Rhonda Miller said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Your card is lovely.

Dawn @ LilyPinkScraps said...

Wowee, so much to learn here!! Bet it all smells wonderful too :) Such a pretty end result as well!

Crafting Vicky said...

WOW you are so incredibly talented and brilliant! I had heard of tea but never of doing this with coffee... Your card is stunning.

Thanks for joining us as Dutch Dare Card Challenge this week. Hope to see you again next week. DT Crafting Vicky

Anne Temple said...

Fabulous tutorial! Love these ideas and your card is so pretty. Guess I need to start saving my single cup coffee tubs :-)

Nancy said...

What great techniques, Jennifer! I will try them ~ another reason to really enjoy my morning cup! I can't wait to try it. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this and with such great instructions and photos too :).

Liliya said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing it!
Your card is gorgeous!! Thank you for joining DDCC! xx Lilia DT

Renee B. said...

Great tutorial Jen & adorable card!
Hugs, Renee

tellana said...

Thaty card is simply amazing - all those details and colors and of-course that lace just tops it all off!
TFS of the tutorial - I had used coffee for laces and stuff, but I had never thought of using grounds - so that was a pleasant surprise for me.
Hugs,
Liva ❤

Unknown said...

Wow, amazing Entry. This is so exciting to see your talent.
I wish you well in the this week's Challenge. We hope to see you back next week.
Hugs
Tammy Ortiz
Founder of
Tammy Scrapin Corner

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, this is soooo awesome!! Of course using coffee is your "signature" style! :) I will certainly have to try it out!! Thanks so much for sharing!! (I bet the card smells wonderful!! LOL!)

Your image and card design are awesome!! Have a beautiful day!! HUGS

KristyLee said...

Oh my golly, how cool is that! Great idea! Great job! I love your card, it's beautiful! Your so talented!
Peace,
kristy

Lisa Minckler said...

I'm on it!!! OMGosh, I freakin' loved this tutorial. I love coffee with everything and now not only can I consume large quantities but now I can stamp with it too!!! WOO HOO...I think my world is complete now. Note to self, don't drink cup with lace, don't drink cup with lace.." okay, got it!
Thanks Jen...YOU ROCK!!

Anita said...

Cool tutorial! I love how you combine your two loves.

Teresa said...

Absolutely gorgeous card, thanks for joining in the dotty challenge at Joanna Sheen.
Teresa xx

NanaConnie said...

Hey, my friend, fantastic tutorial, and the card is just too precious! Wonderful to see you. :-D So glad you chose to join in our "Things with Wings" challenge at Tammy's Scrapin Corner this week. Good luck in the draw and I hope we see you next week, too.
NanaConnie DT

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer,
What a great tutorial; I learned about this technique recently from our DT Member Elin, but I have yet to try it out. Very sweet card - thanks for joining the LLC challenge this month!

Hugz,
Sandy

Becky said...

Great card, and fantastic tutorial, I really must get round to doing this technique.
Saw from your info you're fighting the nasty C, hope everything is going ok and you're getting there. It's a great hobby for taking your mind off things.
Thanks for joining us for this challenge at
Live & Love Crafts
Hugs, Becky x