Followers

Translate

Monday, May 26, 2014

Remember Memorial Day

Coffee of the Day - Vanilla Biscotti

To celebrate my wonderful news of no cancer the other day, we bought the movie, 'The Monument's Men'. I had read the book and really enjoyed it, so wanted to see the movie, too. Dave is so not a history nut, like me, but because he likes so many of the actors in the movie, he persevered. thankfully he enjoyed the movie. it seemed such a wonderful movie to help us remember the sacrifices made by so very many as we recognize Memorial Day today. Everyone has their own opinions about war, but we must always support the many men and women who put their lives on the line for our personal liberties.


the card I have today uses a special image from MelJen Designs, 'Pair of Poppies'. I am sure many of you are like me in that you remember buying and wearing poppies made by veterans. My dad faithfully bought one for me every year. each time I see one I think of him. he also served in the Army, and had a brother who died in WW2, so the poppies bring forth many memories.


papers for the card are from the Authentique Pride collection, flower is by Petaloo, star is punched from a Starbuck's coffee cozy, and enamel dots are my handmade ones. shimmerz paint, stickles, and a spica glitter pen accent the main image.  lace is from my vintage stash. postage stamp is one I saved.

thank you so much for stopping by!


Challenges:
Sunday Sketch and Stamp - sketch (flipped on its side to resemble flag)
Sassy Studio - color it patriotic
OSAAT - anything goes
Red Carpet Studio - Saving Private Ryan
Robyn's Fetish - add 3 buttons
Alphabet Ch - H is for handmade embellies (star, enamel dots, sentiment from label maker, and banner was hand cut)
Delightful Ch - red, white, and blue
DL Art - red, white, and blue
Mema's Crafts - May flowers (poppies seem perfect for this)

16 comments:

Penny said...

Very cool take on the sketch, Jen! Love all the fun papers and cool details you added. And I do remember the poppies from my childhood, too. How odd that I had forgotten them until seeing your post. :^)
My dad was in the navy during WWII. Gary's dad was in the Army at that time. And Gary served in Vietnam in 1969. I was actually an Army wife for 5-1/2 years, from mid-1970 until late 1975. Honestly, not my favorite part of my life. War vets were not treated too well back then. Thank heavens that attitude has changed!
Happy Memorial Day, Jen! And here's to many, many more for you! :^)
Big hugs, Penny

Cherished said...

Wonderful Card. Thanks for playing at RCS.

Denise @ kc242 said...

Wow what a fun card. Great design! Thank you so much for playing along with Delightful Challenges! Denise

Verna Angerhofer said...

What a beautiful composition representing Memorial Day. You used a perfect mix of collage elements to create a wonderful look!

Michelle said...

This is a very beautiful card. The sketch you used is great. What a great inspiration for the past holiday. Thank You for sharing with us over at The Robyn's Fetish Challenge Blog.

DIANA L. said...

Super card I love the design and the distressed look great take on the sketch
Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday #133 “Red, white and Blue” challenge, Have a Blessed day, DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com



Bernardine Cuttino said...


Amazing card the image is simply impressive. Thanks for joining in on the fun at Delightful Challenges. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hugs
Berni, DT
delightfulsketches.

Kim Kelley said...

Wonderful and so patriotic! Thank you for joining us at Sassy Studio Designs and the DTBST challenge this week! HUGS

Kim
SSD DT

Anne Lise said...

Cool card :) I'm glad you're joining us at OSAAT this week. Good luck and hope to see you again next week :)

Tammy said...

WOW awesome card Jen! Very patriotic and I love all of the embellishments! Thanks for joining us at Alphabet Challenge Blog!
Tammy x

Pat said...

Beautiful card such lovely colours and super embellishments. So pleased for you to read your fantastic news. Hugs.

Pat xx

Mema's Crafts said...

Love your interpretation of the sketch and the card was even more special after reading your post. Being a veteran myself I really appreciate those that never forget my brothers and sisters that didn't make it home but paved the way for folks like me to continue the fight of freedom. Your card honors those men/wommen beautifully. Thank you for taking time to share with us at Mema's Crafts and good luck in the draw.

Christine Harrop said...

Love the image on this very special card. Here in the UK I wear my poppy with pride on November 11th and remember those who sacrificed so much for us. Thank you for joining us at OSAAT this week. Good luck. Christine xx Dt

Jennie - The Crafty Wife said...

The perfect card for your Memorial Day, the poppies are beautiful. Thank you for joining us at OSAAT. Jennie x

Carole said...

Super card , great take on the sketch. Thanks for joining us this week @ Sunday Sketch & Stamp.
Happy Crafting
Carole xXx

The Paper Trail said...

Jennifer, this is a lovely layout! I especially love the poppies! Also, you were the randomly selected winner of our Saving Private Ryan challenge at RCS challenge blog! Congrats! Please contact me at SThom97093@aol.com for information on how to claim your prize. Thanks again for playing along with us!